The ever-changing nature of the job market means that it is not only a difficult thing for students to navigate and plan for, but equally parents and carers find it difficult to effectively support their young people in getting to grips with it.
In this section, you can explore labour market information that will help you to understand the current state of the market, and there are useful links to resources to help you better support your young person as they carve out their own corner of the world.
Labour Market Information
- Paths to Professional Careers - a Parent’s Guide - https://targetcareers.co.uk/sites/targetcareers.co.uk/files/public/targetcareers-futurewise-paths-to-professional-careers_a-parents-guide-2019.pdf
- Your daughter’s future – A Careers toolkit for Parents - https://www.pshe-association.org.uk/system/files/Your%20Daughters%20Future.pdf
- Career Pilot LMI in a Box - https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/adviser-zone/lmi-in-a-box-g-2/heart-of-the-south-west-by-sector
- Careers Near Here - https://www.careersnearhere.com/
- Parent’s Guide to Apprenticeships - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/711088/Parent-Guide-Apprenticeships.pdf
- Parent’s Guide to Work Experience (video) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXvgX2OXpV8#action=share
Support Materials and Useful Articles:
- Success at School Parent Support Page - https://successatschool.org/advice/parents
- Steering your teenager toward a job and career - a free guide - http://win-that-job.com/sites/default/files/FreeGuideFlyer4.pdf
- Modern Apprenticeships: How Parents can support their children - https://www.theguardian.com/global/2020/feb/04/modern-apprenticeships-how-parents-can-support-their-children
- BTec Nationals: Who are the students who didn’t just do A-Levels - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-49279219
- Help Your Child Apply to University: ‘Ask what inspires them’ - https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/jun/19/help-your-child-apply-to-university-ask-what-inspires-them