We are unapologetic about our high standards from which we do not deviate.
Students are expected to change into PE kit for every PE lesson.
PE kit is checked each lesson and where students do not meet the required standards, parents/carers will be expected to support the Academy by ensuring their child is wearing the correct kit.
For PE and Dance lessons, students in Years 7-11 require:
- A Purple OAJW sports t-shirt or a plain white polo shirt (must have a collar). Purple OAJW sports t-shirts are compulsory from January 2021, except for year 11 pupils.
- Plain black tracksuit bottoms, skorts or shorts. Leggings can be worn for PE but MUST be OAJW branded if worn (no other leggings will be acceptable). Cycling shorts are NOT allowed.
Only leggings with OAJW branding accepted.
- Jumpers are not compulsory for PE. However, if your son/daughter would like to wear a jumper, it must be plain black. Large logos are not acceptable, along with jumpers of any other colour. The OAJW quarter zip jumper will be the only jumper allowed from January 2021, except for year 11 pupils.
- Coats are not compulsory for PE. However, if your son/daughter would like to wear a coat, it must be a plain black coat, suitable for sport. Large logos and fur hoods are not acceptable, along with coats of any other colour.
Footwear in PE
Sports trainers will be used on the outdoor courts and in all indoor spaces. All styles of running trainers and multi-purpose trainers with cushioned soles and laces are appropriate for PE lessons.Any canvas trainers/pumps/daps with a flat sole are not appropriate as they do not provide cushioning, ankle support or enough grip.
- Moulded studs:
We are proud of our facilities and in order to maintain the highest possible condition of the 3G artificial pitch and ensure that OAJW students have the best experience, we insist that students wear the correct footwear. Students will only be able to wear football boots with moulded and/or plastic studs on the 3G pitch.
No metal studs, blades, dimpled trainers or any flat soled shoes are allowed on the 3G pitch. All students in Years 7-10 will require football boots for curricular activities this academic year. Year 11 students using the astro for curricular or extra-curricular activities will also be expected to have the appropriate footwear.
Moulded studs are compulsory; however, we will notify you when your son/daughter requires them for an activity. A two-week period will be allowed for you to purchase moulded studs.
- Gumshields and shin pads:
Students will complete a range of activities over the academic year. For activities such as hockey and rugby, we strongly advise that students wear a gum shield. In activities such as football and hockey, we strongly advise that students wear shin pads.
If students are ill/injured and unable to participate fully in PE, they should bring a note from home and get changed into their kit. In these instances, students will still be expected to engage with their learning and will be given an alternative role such as official/coach. The only exceptions to this are when students are physically unable to get changed due to an injury such as a broken arm. If students have long term injuries/illnesses that mean they cannot participate in PE, a doctor’s note is required.
- Forgotten kit:
If students forget an item of kit, they will be asked to borrow school kit. Instances of forgotten kit are tracked carefully by the PE department and sanctions for forgetting kit will be enforced where necessary.
- Other circumstances:
If there are any other circumstances that mean students do not have the correct kit, e.g.: it has been lost, students should bring a suitable alternative and a note from home. If a suitable alternative is not available, students will be asked to borrow school kit.
- Jewellery and hair:
For safety reasons, all jewellery should be removed for PE and long hair should be tied up. If students are unable to remove jewellery, it should be taped. The PE department do not provide tape and students must bring their own. Failure to remove jewellery or tie up hair for PE will result in the use of sanctions where necessary.